Top 10 Reasons to Give the Gift of Camp
Camp is truly a life-changing experience — one that provides a lifetime of memories, and develops real life skills needed to be a leader in today’s changing world. For many families, camp is already a holiday tradition. For those families who haven’t considered camp yet this season, the American Camp Association® (ACA) lists the top ten reasons to give the gift of camp:
10. Gift-wrapping a pony has never been easy. Trust us, we’ve tried.
9. Aunt Maude’s fruitcake is still on the top shelf of the pantry.
8. According to research from The Children’s Mutual, 41 percent of toys and presents given during the December holidays are broken by March.
7. No waiting in line! The average American spends 25 percent of holiday shopping time in line.
6. No assembly or batteries required.
5. Camp helps boost confidence! According to ACA research, 92 percent of campers reported that camp helped them feel better about themselves.
4. First-hand experiences with nature! From insects to vegetation and woodland critters to fish, the camp experience surrounds children with nature and develops a hands-on appreciation for the environment and the natural world.
3. Friends come in all shapes and sizes, and from all different backgrounds. ACA research indicates that 96 percent of campers made new friends, and 93 percent of campers met people that were different from them. The camp experience helps develop authentic friendships and a sense of community, while making children more aware of the world around them.
2. Camp helps stem summer learning loss. According to the National Summer Learning Association, most children experience some degree of learning loss in the summer months. Research has shown that participation in an experiential education program, like camp, has a positive effect on children while helping to stem learning loss.
1. Camp is FUN!
The American Camp Association® (ACA) is a national organization with more than 10,000 individual members and nearly 3,000 member camps. ACA is committed to collaborating with those who believe in quality camp and outdoor experiences for children, youth, and adults. ACA provides advocacy and evidence-based education and professional development, and is the only national accrediting body for the organized camp experience. ACA accredits approximately 2,400 diverse camps nationally. ACA-Accredited® Camps meet up to 300 health and safety standards. Accreditation provides public evidence of a camp’s commitment to the health, safety, and overall well-being of both campers and staff. For more information, visit www.ACAcamps.org.