What is Camp Idlewild of Florida?
Camp Idlewild provides a traditional camp experience for children who have varying abilities and special needs. Our program focuses on personal development through positive and fun experiences in a natural and safe environment.
What is the Age Range of Campers?
Our residential camp programs are open to campers 6-17 years old for Summer Camp (Sunday to Friday) or Weekend Camp (Friday to Sunday).
What is the Camper to Counselor Ratio?
Our Camper to Counselor ratio for all campers is a 3:1 (Campers to Counselor). We are not equipped to provide a 1:1 ratio at this time.
Who is eligible to participate in our camp programs?
Our program model was developed for children who have the following super powers:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger's Syndrome)
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Down syndrome
- Developmental Delays
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Blind or Visual Impairments
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Physical Disabilities (please contact the camp office if your child uses a wheelchair for mobility to ensure we can meet accessibility needs)
CAMPER ELIGIBILITY POLICY
Camp Idlewild of Florida (CIW) seeks to serve individuals with special needs or disabilities who meet the essential eligibility requirements enumerated below. These criteria are necessary to ensure not only the safety of participating campers, but also their ability to receive the maximum benefits of the camp program for which they have applied.
All acceptances of applications are conditional. Specifically, CIW reserves the right to accept or deny applications or defer admission on site or prior to attendance should it later become aware that the initial application was inaccurate or the campers health has severely declined or upon demonstration that a camper does not meet the applicable eligibility criteria. All deferrals or revocation of admission must be approved by the Camp Director.
Essential Eligibility Requirements for Camp Admission:
- Be of appropriate age or ability for the requested camp session.
- Have a physical, developmental or intellectual disability. Please contact the camp office if you are a wheelchair user to discuss accessibility.
- Have the ability to effectively communicate needs to their camp counselor & medical personnel verbally, through sign language or through use of assistive technology.
- Have the ability to adapt to a group living routine of camp within 24 hours of check-in, without disruption to the group living environment. This includes, but is not limited to the following: not following directions from the CIW staff or causing disruption to other campers’ experiences. Accommodations are cabin-style sleeping quarters with no private rooms. Campers are expected not to disturb others during quiet hours of overnight sleep and rest time.
- Applicant will be required to possess basic independent living skills such as: self-feeding, showering, dressing and toileting. Applicant must be continent and have the ability to maintain their bowel routine. Our program is designed to meet the needs of our campers based on a 3:1 camper to counselor ratio. We are not equipped to provide 1:1 assistance/supervision based upon our current program model.
- Is not abusive toward him/herself or others, i.e. does not physically, verbally, or sexually abuse self or others. Abuse may include hitting, biting, scratching, spitting, kicking, excessive swearing, excessive or inappropriate yelling or verbal degradation, inappropriate touching or fondling or other inappropriate behavior.
- Does not have a medical condition or impairment that has a substantial risk or likelihood for complication or injury or requires specialized medical treatment (i.e. intravenous infusions, tube feeding, communicable disease or serious medical condition).
- Has ability to eat or drink amounts adequate for nutritional support, agrees to and accepts personal prescription medication from the camp medical personnel.
How much does Camp Idlewild cost?
- Summer Camp sessions (Sunday to Friday): $700.00.
- Weekend Camp sessions (Friday evening to Sunday): $250.00
Does Camp Idlewild provide Financial Assistance?
Yes. Applications for Financial Assistance for Summer Camps can be found within our Camper Registration Application. Financial Assistance will be provided on a first-come-first serve basis.