Founder and President of Camp Idlewild, Irene has lived in Land O' Lakes for nearly 50 years. As an experienced entrepeneur she has owned and operated businesses and worked closely with her late husband, William Roach, to support the local community through numerous charitable organizations.
Camp Operating Officer, Sherri, a communications specialist provides the crucial link between our camp, community, and families.
Executive Director, Wendy, a school psychologist and specialist in curriculum and instruction brings both professional and personnel experience to broaden our summer camp!
Director, Mark , will bring legal and executive board experience with him from other non-profit and charitable organizations in order to set Camp Idlewild on solid ground and to avoid the pitfalls that can too often thwart good intentions.
Director, Dick, a seasoned economic, business and management specialist provides invaluable support in planning and operations.
Director, John, Retired U.S. Coast Guard officer and financial specialist brings a wealth of experience to promote our camp structure and operations.
Director, Kim, a Graphic Arts Insturctor with Pasco County Schools, brings creative and artistic gifts to share with campers, staff, and parents.
Eugene "Gene" Sylvester
Director, Gene, a retired Senior Project Manager for Gulf Coast Equipment Corp., brings 45+ years experience in the construction and facilities management industry. Gene's community involvement and charitable work experiences with youth and children's organizations provide an invaluable resource for Camp Idlewild.
More about our board members...
Please click on a board member's name below to learn more about them.
Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
• In addition to duties on the Board of Directors, portfolio manager for Trust and Corporate assets.
• Retired U.S. Coast Guard officer; former Chief, U.S. Coast Guard Retired Affairs Branch; N.A.S.D. (now FINRA) registered representative since 1983; Stock broker with Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley Dean Witter and Charles Schwab; Vice-President and branch manager for several offices including Ft. Myers FL and St. Petersburg FL as well as Group Manager for Southern US; Registered Investment Advisor and portfolio manager for Alexander Read & Co. and partner - portfolio manager for Burke- Leslie, LLC, both Registered Investment Advisory Firms.
• In addition to asset management and participation on the Board of Directors, will promote community awareness of Camp Idlewild through participation in fund raising activities, corporate/community/church sponsorships and government agencies.
• Firm believer in the mission of Camp Idlewild, the learning experience and life-long benefits of youth camps, and the need to provide special opportunities for autistic children and their families.
Eecutive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
- Charles Schwab & Co. – VP Financial Consultant – Retired May 2009
- Charles Schwab in December 1995
- Account holder at Schwab since 1987
- Series 7/63 licensed April 1996
- Series 8 Licensed July 1996
- Notary Public
- Electronics Specialist for Tampa Branch
- Advisor Source Specialist for Tampa Branch
- Attorney Source Specialist
- 30 Years of sales experience
- 7 years of management experience
- Past President of Hardware Association of Florida
1994-95 AJ'S POWER SOURCE
I was responsible for setting up their business plan and the implementation of their sales and manufacturing strategies.
I started as a sales representative, and earned "Rookie of the Year" my first year. Iwas promoted to Regional Sales Manager in 1989 eventually being responsible for 35 sales people, covering the eastern United States and Puerto Rico. My region consistently placed first or second out of five regions every year.
1986-1987 MANUFACTURES REPRESENTATIVE
Primary lines: Vermont American Tool Co.,Jordan David Safety Products, and Keeper Corp. During my tenure I increased overall sales by 120%.
1975-1986 LEVITON MFG. CO.
During my 11years as salesman with Leviton I sold every hardware distributor and Home Center in the state of Florida, an accomplishment not realized in any other territory. When I took over the territory it was producing $250,000 in sales per year when I left it was at $2,500,000.
Graduated from the University of Tampa , on the honor roll, with a BS degree in Economics and a minor in business. While at the University I held offices in Sigma Phi Epsilon Social Fraternity.
Secretary, Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc. & Chief Operating Officer
In addition to duties on the Board of Directors, Sherri is our Camp Administrator for Camp Idlewild and on the Board of Directors for Roach Family Foundation.
Qualitifications -- Experience
- Master’s in Education, Adult Education and Training, e-Learning
- Bachelor’s in Science, Communications, Public Relations and Marketing
- American Grant Writing Association, Certified Grant Writer Course – Certificate of Completion
- Educator for Pasco County Schools;
- Previous owner of multiple businesses in North Carolina and Florida
- 30 years of administrative/sales/marketing experience
- 15 years management experience.
In addition to serving as Camp Administration and participation on the Board of Directors, Sherri will promote community awareness of Camp Idlewild as our Community Relations Specialist, through public relations, marketing, grant writing, planning and participation in fund raising activities, developing partnerships with corporate, community, and church organizations as well as government agencies.
Sherri supports Camp Idlewild’s mission and vision to create a special place for special kids, to provide autistic children and their families with special opportunities, learning experiences and the life-long benefits of participation in a specialized summer recreational program.
Executive Board of Directors, Counsel and Vice President, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
As a lawyer, mediator and arbitrator, who has practiced and been a general partner in a south-central Pasco County professional center and has represented them in various legal matters during the last three decades, Mr. Shelton is embracing the honor, challenge and privilege of assisting the extended Roach family fulfill their charitable dream of providing special needs children with a well-planned, well-designed, stimulating and protective rural camp environment.
As a former scholar-athlete who has served as an executive board member and as President of Habitat for Humanity for Central Pasco County, the Black Watch Soccer Club and the Tampa Chapter of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame, Mark has often devoted many of his hours to non-profit and charitable endeavors and has already received community recognition for those efforts.
President, Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
Director, Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
Camp Director and Treasurer, Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
As a Certified School Psychologist, Wendy served local school districts to provide psychological services for students, parents, and instructional staff. Her tenure at USF provided opportunities to collaborate with various professionals and graduate students to serve children with special needs in the surrounding community. Her entrepreneurial experiences provide a background in corporate finances and human resources. Wendy's doctoral work is in the area of Educational Leadership with an emphasis in Curriculum Instruction and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
As a parent with first-hand experience with autism, Wendy brings both personal and professional knowledge, experiences, and successful strategies to Camp Idlewild.
Education - Eperience
*Eugene "Gene" Sylvester
Executive Board of Directors, Camp Idlewild of Florida, Inc.
In addition to duties on the Board of Directors, Gene is our Senior Project / Facilities Manager.
Qualifications - Experience
November 2012-November 2015
Gulf Equipment Corp.
Senior Project Manager
- Set up Regional Office in Madison MS, A division of Gulf Equipment.
- The main focus was to continue working primarily with large Municipalities and Universities , Federal and Commercial Projects, Large Utility Communication Projects, Telecom Carriers and Municipal 911 Projects.
- Responsibilities were Bidding, Project Management, Budgets and Regional P&L.
- Managing individual projects up to $14,000,000., worked with University of Alabama, Mississippi State, University of Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi, on upgrades of communication systems.
- Worked with Florida DOT and Georgia Forestry on their microwave systems.
- Our main focus was on building trusted long term relationships, assisting our customers management and design of their difficult projects.
Irby Construction Company - Telecommunications Division Superintendent
- Set up of Telecommunication Training Academy and it's core curriculum Set up the Maintenance and Inspection Operation
- Maintenance of over three hundred PCS sites for three years. Set up construction operations in six states
- ADM Micro installation of thousands of energy management systems in large and medium size retail facilities (Advanced Auto, O'Reily Auto Parts Target, Walgreens, Hardees, Wendy's, and Family Dollar Store)
- Sub Station Construction and/or repair for Entergy and General Electric emergencies
- Completed Telecommunication systems construction.
- Constructed hundreds ofturn key projects including rooftop Guy Cell Support and Mono Pole Towers
- Microwave systems and Fiber Optic sites
- Specialized in Power Structures and have developed alliances with many utilities
- Worked with Burnes & McDonalls Engineering in construction of a fiber optic microwave backbone project for South Mississippi Electric Power Assoc.
- Built out fiber optic regeneration for Williams Communication throughout Mississippi, Louisiana, & Texas
- Worked gas pipe line restoration through Mississippi & Louisiana
Established a firm customer base with the following companies:
- T-Mobile, Bell South, Sprint, Intel Corporation, AT&T, Entergy, Carolina Power, Duke Engineering, Williams Company, Atlantic Power, Cellular South, Bechtel, Memphis Light Water & Gas, Georgia Power, General Dynamics, AEP, Wal-Mart
Irby Construction Company- Real Estate Division Manager of Construction/Leasing and Negotiations
General construction and renovations of projects up ten million dollars Property management and leasing for over fifty Properties including industrial, commercial, Class A offices, Strip Center and Timber
- Charter Member ofBOMA ofMississippi Special Achievements:
Instrumental in creating The Jackson Enterprise Center (A 480,000 sq ft busines incubator)
National Award- Business Incubator of the Year in 1997
- Electrical Trouble Shooting
- Pneumatic Controls
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Building Systems
- Design Electrical and Electronic Circuitry and implementation
- Master Electrician, Diploma
- Technical Degree - Air Conditioning, Diploma
- Associate Degree - Electronics, Diploma
- Auto Cad Training - 2 Semesters
- Psychology - 2 years toward degree
- Real Estate - License Course
- Electrical Motor Rewinding/Control, Degree
- Certified Signal & Rigging
- OSHA 10 & 30 Hour First Aid CPR
- Lock Out Tag Out Electrical Safety
- Miscellaneous Training for Tower Certification and Electrical Safety
Interests & Charitable Work
- Served for 8 years on the Board of The Center for Violence Prevention which is a shelter for battered women and for 6 years has served as Chairman of the Board
- Served on the Board of Habitat for Humanity
- Worked with Mission Mississippi (An organization to promote racial & ethnic harmony)
- Past member Jackson MS Down Town Business Development Worked with various youth & Children's Organizations