SUMMER CAMPER REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
We are excited to offer Weekend and Summer Camps at Camp Idlewild. Weekend and Summer Camps (Overnight and Day Camp) are open to campers aged 6-17 as well as sessions for our Young Adult Campers aged 18-30 who have varying disabilities and special needs. Campers are encouraged to participate in all camp activities and can access the program at a level where they feel comfortable. Summer Camp sessions run from Sunday check-in at 2:00 PM until Friday at 2:00 PM.
WHO DO WE SERVE?
Our program model was developed for children who have the following SUPERPOWERS:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger's Syndrome)
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Down syndrome
- Developmental Delays
CAMPER ELIGIBILITY POLICY
Camp Idlewild of Florida (CIW) seeks to serve qualified individuals with special needs or disabilities who meet the essential eligibility requirements described below. These criteria are necessary to ensure not only the safety of participating campers but also their ability to receive the maximum benefits of the camp program for which they have applied. Eligibility is based on present medical or behavioral concerns and our ability to ensure safe and adequate supervision for all camper needs. We are not equipped for individuals who may cause physical harm to fellow campers or staff, require feeding tubes, Foley catheters, dialysis, ventilators or have a tracheostomy.
All acceptances of applications are conditional. Specifically, CIW reserves the right to accept or deny applications or defer admission on-site or prior to attendance should it later become aware that the initial application was inaccurate or the camper's health has severely declined, or upon demonstration that a camper does not meet the applicable eligibility criteria. All deferrals or revocations of admission must be approved by CIW Executive Director.
Essential Eligibility Requirements for Camp Admission:
- Be of appropriate age or ability for the session requested.
- Have Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger's Syndrome), Sensory Processing Disorder, Down syndrome, ADHD, and/or a Developmental Delay; specialty camp sessions such as for sibling camps will waive this requirement. Please contact the camp office if you are a wheelchair user to discuss accessibility.
- Have the ability to adapt to a group living routine at camp within 24 hours of check-in, without disruption to the group living environment. Disruptions are defined as and include, but are not limited to the following: not following directions of CIW staff or causing disruption to other campers’ experiences. Accommodations are dorm-style sleeping quarters with no private rooms. Campers are expected not to disturb others during quiet hours of overnight sleep and rest time.
- The applicant will be required to possess basic independent living skills such as self-feeding, showering, dressing, and toileting. Applicant must be continent & have the ability to maintain bowel routine. Our program is designed to meet the needs of our campers based on a 5:1 or better Camper to Counselor ratio. We are not equipped to provide 1:1 assistance/supervision in a group setting at this time. If you feel that your camper would not fit into our current camper-to-staff ratio please contact us to discuss additional possibilities.
- Is not abusive toward him/herself or others, i.e. does not physically, verbally, or sexually abuse self or others. Abuse may be defined as hitting, biting, scratching, spitting, kicking, excessive swearing, excessive or inappropriate yelling or verbal degradation, inappropriate touching or fondling, or other inappropriate behavior.
- Does not have a medical condition or impairment that has a substantial risk or likelihood for complication or injury or requires specialized medical treatment (i.e. intravenous infusions, tube feeding, a communicable disease or condition).
- Has the ability to eat or drink amounts adequate for nutritional support and agrees to and accepts personal medications from camp medical personnel.
At Camp Idlewild, we train our staff to be comfortable with a wide variety of communication strategies. Some of our campers may be non-verbal and may depend on visual support or sign language to communicate their needs. Other campers may struggle with social skills, so we develop effective strategies to socialize and connect with friends. If your child uses any assistive communication device or method, please let us know.
Weekend Camp session is $320.00 (financial aid is not available)
Summer Camp Overnight session is $825.00 until April 30th and then $850.00 (limited financial aid is available on a first-come-first-serve basis) The DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 1st
Summer Camp Day session is $675.00 until April 30th and then $700.00 (limited financial aid is available on a first-come-first-serve basis) - The DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 1st
What do you need to complete an application for your camper?
- General information including behavioral, social/emotional, personal care needs and communication strategies to best support your camper
- Specific information regarding your camper's likes, dislikes, challenges, and preferences
- Health insurance information & Immunization Records
- Payment source: credit/debit card (other payment options are also available)
There is a non-refundable deposit required for all applications for Camp Idlewild: $50.00 for Weekend Camps and $150.00 for Summer Camps. If, after review, your camper is accepted/enrolled this deposit will go toward your balance. If, after review, your camper(s) is not accepted/enrolled or put on the WAITING LIST your deposit will be refunded in full.
Financial Aid at Camp Idlewild -The DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 15TH
Financial assistance is available for campers who qualify for a PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIP. Scholarships are available for Summer Camp sessions only at this time. Please click on the Financial Assistance tab for more information.
Send a camper to camp! Please consider helping fund our scholarship program. There are many children in need of camp. If your family can assist another family, please contact the camp office to discuss.
Fees & Tuition & Refunds
All fees must be paid in full at least 14 days prior to your scheduled camp session. If full payment is not received within this timeframe, you risk losing the spot for your camper. Please contact the office for additional details.